This list contains my most recent research papers and publications. My updated bibliography may also be found on Google Scholar.
- NC State (graduate)
- Chris Brown and Chris Parnin. Understanding the Impact of GitHub Suggested Changes on Recommendations Between Developers.
Joint European Software Engineering Conference and Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering (ESEC/FSE 2020). [reddit, talk]
- Peipei Wang, Chris Brown, Jamie A. Jennings, and Kathryn T. Stolee. An Empirical Study on Regular Expression Bugs.
International Conference on Mining Software Repositories (MSR 2020).
- Peng Sun, Chris Brown, Ivan Beschastnikh, and Kathryn Stolee.
Mining Specifications from Documentation Using a Crowd.
International Conference on Software Analysis, Evolution and Reengineering
- Chris Brown, Emerson Murphy-Hill, Justin Middleton, and Esha Sharma. How Software Users
Recommend Tools to Each Other. Visual Languages and Human Centric Computing
- Justin Smith, Chris Brown, and Emerson Murphy-Hill. Flower: Navigating Program Flow in
the IDE. Visual Languages and Human Centric Computing (VL/HCC 2017).
Susan H. Rodger, Dwayne Brown, Michael Hoyle, Daniel MacDonald, Michael Marion,
Elizabeth Onstwedder, Bella Onwumbiko, and Edwin Ward. Weaving Computing into all Middle
School Disciplines. Innovation and Technology in Computer Science
Education (ITiCSE 2014).
Presentations and Invited Talks
- DiamondHacks. Introduction to GitHub Workshop. North Carolina State University, Virtual. March 27, 2021. [slides]
- Three Minute Thesis (3MT) Competition. Digital Nudges for Encouraging Developer Behaviors. North Carolina State University Graduate School, Virtual. September 24, 2020.
- Software engineering (CSC326) lecture presentation. "CSC 326 Team Project Bot". North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC. March 2, 2020. [slides]
DevConf 2019. Sorry to Bother You! Effective Open Source Software Recommendations. Red Hat. Boston, MA. August 17, 2019. [slides]
- Lightning Talk. NC State Free Open Source Software Interest Group (FOSS). Raleigh, NC. January 25, 2019
Quality Engineering Camp (QECampX). How to Improve Software Tool Discovery and Usage. Red Hat. Raleigh, NC. October 10, 2018. [slides]
Intern Expo. Red Hat. Raleigh, NC, August 2018
- Lightning Talk. NC State Linux User's Group. Raleigh, NC. February 28, 2018
- Wednesday Research Meeting. "How Software Users Recommend Tools to Each Other". Laboratory for Analytic Sciences. Raleigh, NC. November 29, 2017
Intern Expo. Red Hat. Raleigh, NC. August 2017
Intern Showcase. Blackbaud. Charleston, SC. August 2016
White Papers (non-published):
- Digital Nudges for Encouraging Developer Behaviors.
Dissertation Proposal Oral Preliminary Exam. North Carolina State University,
Raleigh, NC, December 2019. [slides]
Automated Program Repair. Red Hat Satellite 6 Quality Engineering Team.
Red Hat, Raleigh, NC, July 2017.
- Receptive Users and Time-Insensitive Recommendations Improve Tool Discovery.
Written Preliminary Exam. North Carolina State University,
Raleigh, NC, February 2017. [slides]
- Analyzing the Impact of Patches in Computer Science Education.
Automated Program Repair (CSC791) project. North Carolina State University,
Raleigh, NC, Fall 2016.
- Chris Brown, Effat Farhana. Does money motivate software engineers to improve the
quality of their work?. Software Engineering as a Human Activity (CSC710) project.
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, Spring 2016.
- Chris Brown, Christa Cody, Nicolas Mignotte. WildSnap: Mobile Android application for
wildlife/plant identification. Human-Computer Interaction (CSC554) project. North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, Fall 2015.
Integrating Computer Science Into Middle School Mathematics. Duke Computer
Science Undergraduate Research Fellowship (CSURF) thesis. Duke University, Durham, NC, Spring 2013.
Applications for Robotics. Computing Research Association Distributed Research Experience for
Undergraduates (DREU). Brown University, Providence, RI, Summer 2011.
Chris Brown. Ball Durham. Editor and Staff Writer for the Duke Blue Devils' sports FanSided website Ball Durham, 2013-2018.